By Patricia Sellers
Yesterday, Fortune wrapped up its Most Powerful Women Summit -- the three-day event that I'm lucky enough to chair -- with Senator Olympia Snowe in the early morning and Hillary Clinton and Avon CEO Andrea Jung just before noon. Warren Buffett (BRKA), our honorary Most Powerful Guy participant, was sitting next to me watching the show from the front row. Yesterday I shared with you some choice lines from his on-stage conversation with Fortune's Carol Loomis. Today, a few quotes from the Summit's final morning...
"The biggest emerging market in the world isn't a country. It's women."
- Andrea Jung, chairman and CEO of Avon Products (AVP), which does 80% of its business outside the U.S.
"Talent is universal, but opportunity is not."
- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on the power of mentoring and the Fortune-U.S. State Department Global Women Leaders Mentoring Partnership
"The red states are getting redder. The blue states are getting bluer. I say we should unite in the red, white and blue."
- Senator Olympia Snowe (R)-Maine
"Being a woman is no longer a preexisting condition."
- U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, on one of the benefits of health care and health insurance reform
"Women create companies that they want to work for."
- Susan Sobbott, President of American Express (AXP) OPEN, on a panel featuring fashion designer Tory Burch and two of Fortune's 2010 Most Powerful Women Entrepreneurs
"Being a Republican moderate sometimes feels like being a cast member of "Survivor" — you are presented with multiple challenges, and you often get the distinct feeling that you're no longer welcome in the tribe."
-- Republican Senator Olympia Snowe of Maine in an Op-Ed piece in today's New York Times, referring to Senator Arlen Specter's flight to the Democratic party. Snowe's passionate argument is that her party could have avoided MOREJessica Shambora, Writer-Reporter - Apr 29, 2009 5:34 PM ET
|GM raising Corvette prices|
|Boeing reports wing cracks on Dreamliners|
|Albertsons to merge with Safeway|
|Bitcoin matters. Ignore the media circus.|
|Boeing to end pension plans for non-union employees|